14-21 SEP 2007 - 'ADAM'S APPLE'

14-17SEP07 FRI-MON
I was so tired, slept 'through' from Friday night to Monday morning, shocked to see a big lump on my neck (see below pic, just above point A) on Sunday night.
This big 'Adam's Apple' - no pain lar,
but the size and the sight of it - worrying lor...


17SEP07 MON
Consulted my family doctor Dr Lee, while queuing for my turn to see my company appointed GP. (I dun have much confidence with the GP. Last month I visited the GP 2 times, took more than 3 weeks to recover from cough).
Dr Lee said this could be a Thyroid Nodule after listening to my 'description', followed by his observation. I had no idea what is Thyroid Nodule then. Guess how I responded? Heehee the optimistic me replied: "So it's no big deal la!" [it rhymes lor, no-dule vs no-big-deal, hahaha...]
He said this is quite common for women, 95% non-cancerous, ... The procedure is to drain it with a needle and get the liquid content examined to see if it is benign or malignant. He said need not worry even if it is cancerous (5%) because such cancer can be cured and will not 'come back' for 30-40 years.
After seeing Dr Lee, I waited for another 15minutes for my turn to see the GP. He asked me to move my tongue in & out while he examined the lump movement for quite a while. He said this could be a cyst and wrote me a referral letter to see a Head & Neck Surgeon. He kept looking at my 'Adam's Apple' while writing the referral letter. Perhaps he realised that his expression unconsciously indicated 'big problem', he said: "Don't worry, it's going to be fine." The nurse made appointment for me to see the Surgeon on Wednesday morning.
If I did not consult Dr Lee, it would be mental-torturing before seeing the Surgeon!

19SEP07 WED
Dr Lee’s visual diagnosis is accurate!
The Surgeon added that after draining the liquid content, the lump will get smaller but not completely gone. Huh! This “Adam’s Apple” gonna be there forever! He said it’s just like a balloon filled with water, when poked with a needle, the water will not flow out completely. Surgery is the only way to remove it completely. With my character, I would prefer to remove it. But I changed my mind after he ran this finger on my neck to ‘show’ me where the cut gonna be. HEY! from point A to B hor, see the first pic on top.
So 4ml of brownish fluid drained:
Haha now my 'Adam's Apple' not that prominent liao:

20SEP07 THUR 10am
The nurse called me, it is benign, so to follow-up 2 months later as scheduled and she will mail me the report.

21SEP07 FRI – received the Cytology Report, the Microscopic Description as follows:
3 Pap and 1 DQ stained smears are examined. Low cell yield. There are a few macrophages and some colloid admixed with blood. Follicular cells are isolatedly present.

Some info on Thyroid Nodule:
The thyroid gland is found in the neck just below the "Adam's apple." This gland is responsible for producing thyroid hormone, which is an important hormone that stimulates the metabolism of the body. Like many things, the thyroid gland gets "lumpier" as we get older and the frequency of these nodules increases with age. Thyroid nodules are also more common in women than in men. Thyroid nodules usually do not prevent the thyroid gland from doing its job.

Thyroid nodules are very common. A nodule is a swelling or lump, which can be a solid or liquid filled cyst or mass. Most are benign, but a small percentage can be cancerous. So you should always have a nodule evaluated by your physician as soon as you notice it. An estimated one in 12 to 15 women and one in 50 men has a thyroid nodule. More than 90 percent of all thyroid nodules are not cancerous.

Some symptoms of thyroid nodules include palpitations, insomnia, weight loss, anxiety, and tremors, common in hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism symptoms might include weight gain, fatigue, depression. Some people will cycle back and forth between hyperthyroid and hypothyroid symptoms. Others may have difficulty swallowing, a feeling of fullness, pain or pressure in the neck, a hoarse voice, or neck tenderness. And finally, many people have nodules with no obvious symptoms related to thyroid dysfunction at all.

Thyroid nodules cannot be prevented.

What Increases Your Risk
You are more likely to develop a thyroid nodule if:
You are older. Thyroid nodules are more common in older people. [ aiyo i old people liao =( ]
You are female. Women are more likely than men to develop thyroid nodules.
You have been exposed to radiation. Exposure to environmental radiation or past radiation treatment to your head, neck, and chest (especially during childhood) increases your risk for thyroid nodules.
You do not get enough iodine. Iodine deficiency is rare in the United States but it is common in areas where iodine is not added to salt, food, and water. An iodine deficiency may result in an enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), with or without nodules.
One or both of your parents have had thyroid nodules. [ both my parents don't have lei ]

1 comment:

Danny, Cindy & Chloe KWEK said...

oh dear.. so scary to suddenly read abt ur thyroid..

my mom had it too, she drank radioactive fluid to remove it. she'd been on medication since..

pls take good care..